Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Hipster Puppies

Hipster Puppies

So last night I was at a Holiday party.  I was sitting in the middle of the couch, which meant I had a conversation going on to the left of me, a conversation going on to the right of me, people conversing on the other side of the couch, and I was completely overwhelmed and unable to focus on any of it.  Luckily for me, on the coffee table my friend had placed a copy of “Hipster Puppies.”





This book was perfect for me.  After have finishing my my 2 Towns Ciderhouse hard cider (I had the Incider, which was delicious), I wasn’t in for any heavy reading, and a book that has nothing but pictures of cute dogs dressed up funny with quick quips about hipsters was amazing.  I was able to finish the whole book in one sitting!  I mean, really, that should sell the book right there.


The downfall of this book is that I kept randomly bursting into a-little-too-loud laughter (that might be the fault of the cider) and caught everyone’s attention.  As I wasn’t participating in any of the garbled noise going on around me, I’m sure my outburst was definitely at the wrong time.  But the books saving grace, coupled with me living in a hipster Mecca, is that I could then pass the book to my friend, she’d read it aloud and show everyone the accompanying picture, and everyone would laugh.  It was like, for a moment, I was the life of the party!  Except, you know, it wasn’t my book and my friend is the one who read it, but still I contributed to the party for a moment!  Then everyone could return back to their conversation as if my interruption never occurred, but deep down inside, I knew they were all thinking “I can’t wait until that weird guy on the couch bursts into laughter again so I can look at another picture of a dog.”


My favorite line was something to the effect like “Daisy sometimes gets ‘irony’ mixed up with ‘being a complete asshole.’”  As I was surrounded by writers and other artists who know what the word irony actually means, this one got quite a laugh and everyone had to pass the book around and read it before giving a chuckle and handing it to the next person.  It took awhile for the book to get back to me, which gave me enough time to grab more hard cider. I think it was called Gnarly Tree Cider, and it was the Crisp Apple. As the name sounds, it was a crisper Cider.

That was my holiday read.  The rest of my summation of holiday parties is that Yule Logs are delicious, but impossible to serve without destroying it, and that gravity is not a gentlemen and will slam a door closed on your friends mom.  Stay tuned, because my next read will be “Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex,” or as I like to call it “Bonk: How I answer phones and try not to say “Clitoris” or “Vaginal wall” while on the phone with a customer.”

No comments:

Post a Comment